Have you ever wondered what acupuncture really does and if it works? As you look at possible treatments for health issues, have you ever entertained the idea of trying acupuncture? Most likely, you get a vision in your mind of long needles being poked into a person, and you might wonder how painful it is. There are many things to know and it is always best to learn and research a process before you judge its uses. There are several places that provide acupuncture therapy in Fort Wayne and other cities. If you are interested, you should seek them out and learn about the procedure.
What Is Acupuncture?
In the East, acupuncture has been an important part of medicine for thousands of years. It is an ancient technique that is now becoming more common in the West as well. It has created positive results in patients for centuries. The total process may not be completely understood, but science is proving that there is relief from pain and ailments when acupuncture is used.
The process involves very thin, hair-like needles to be placed in various pressure points throughout the body. Once these points are stimulated the body takes action and begins to heal. The Chinese talk about two opposing forces in the body: yin and yang. When they are in balance, the body is healthy and creates a positive energy, qi, which you pronounce as “chee”. This energy flows throughout the body and keeps the yin and yang balanced. At times this energy can be blocked and that can lead to illness. There are about 2,000 acupuncture points in the body. The idea of acupuncture is to stimulate these points with the needles that are used. By inserting them into the area, the disruptions are opened and energy can travel again, thus letting the body heal.
How to Choose an Acupuncturist
Once you have determined that you would like to try this kind of treatment, you will want to consider a few things when you choose the acupuncturist.
1. It is important to understand the training that the practitioner has completed. You will want to ask about their education and the number of hours they have spent learning and practicing. Doctors that perform this technique need 100 to 200 hours of training at the least. There are boards that dictate the certification process. You will just want to make sure that your doctor meets the appropriate requirements.
2. You will want to learn about the specialty of the doctor that will work with you. Determine if the condition that you want to treat is something that they have worked on regularly. Acupuncture may be used to treat muscle and joint pain, stress and anxiety, or even infertility. It is important to match yourself and your concerns to an appropriate physician.
3. You should discuss the number of treatments and how often you will need to come in to receive those. This will help you to understand the time commitment needed.
4. It is important to find out if these treatments are covered by your insurance company. They won’t always be, so you will need to plan accordingly if you move forward.
5. You also want to be clear on the cost of the treatments. Don’t hesitate to ask and understand if the initial visit is different than follow-up ones.
6. You can also ask about other treatment methods. It is common for an acupuncturist to have herbalist that can create medicines for your specific needs. They may provide food therapy as well, using diet and nutrition to aid in the healing process.
Acupuncture can be a great treatment avenue. You will want to understand the type of acupuncture therapy available in Fort Wayne or in your city. Take the time to learn and experience this tried and true option.